Sunday, June 14, 2009

Good Morning !

So, I’m in the teens…I have 19 days here in Costa Rica. It still is crazy to me that I have been living here for the past month. This past week and weekend have been a challenging , but good. This past week my kids only had school three days because the teahers had meetings in Santa Cruz. Here, they cancel school for anything and everything and it’s not a big deal at all. We finished learning the body parts, which they really enjoyed! Thanks for all the prayers for my children, they were definitely answered this week. The one child that has been a challenge did great on Friday. Since I have been here Gerald has yet to attempt to write his name on anything . He refuses and says he doesn’t know how. On Friday I was preparing for this weeks activities and had sentence strips . I dotted out his name on a sentence strip just in hopes of him trying in , and he did ! I was so proud of him , and he was so proud of himself ! That has been one of the most rewarding teaching moments since I’ve been here!
Friday night we went to a rodeo and a really nice dinner at the Hacienda. Saturday we woke up to the phone ringing off the hook at five am! There really is NO sleeping in in Costa Rica! Our host dad came in our room and told us that a man from Pinilla had died during the middle of the night. It was really sad because we then went to the local health fair to volunteer at the Hacienda Clinic and that is where the man had died at three in the morning. He was a security guard for the Hacienda. Him and a buddy were riding around on the motorcycle making rounds. The driver feel asleep behind the will and crashed. The other guy went flying off the back into a ditch. His helmet split in two and he busted his head. They got him to the clinic and they tried to revive him to send him to the hospital, but there was no hope, he had already passed away. I would ask prayers for the family because they are having a really hard time with this whole situation. Also, his fellow co-workers are struggling with the loss of their friend. Last night was really fun. We went to Tamorindo , which is like PC but worse. We had a nice dinner on the beach just for fun and then went in search of any restaurant serving brownies. We finally found one , and it was the most amazing brownie I have ever eaten!( Maybe that’s because I haven’t had chocolate in a month).
This upcoming week we are only working four days. On Friday we are headed to the rain forest, Monteverde, for a weekend excursion! UGA has a campus there so that is where we will be staying while we are there!
I would ask for continued prayers about sleep. I still cannot sleep more than three hours at a time , which gets really frustrating when you are tired! Continued prayers for my kids, just that they would have a wonderful week at school and be sponges to learn as much as they can!
Thanks for the continued prayers! Can’t wait to share pictures when I make it home in less than three weeks!!...

No comments:

Post a Comment